Even More Links to Feminism!
Because, really, can you ever have enough? We know that there are people out there who would argue that we don’t really need feminism anymore. But we believe that this excludes the shared reality of women – and especially women in the Global South – where a world run by men, on men’s terms only can be a very frightening place.
Consider these issues that fall squarely under the subject of gender equality in India:
- Female Genital Mutilation (approx 80% of Bohri Muslims in India endure this torture)
- Child Marriage (47% of girls in India marry before their 18th birthday)
- Fetal Selection based on Gender
- Dowry Murders 24,771 dowry murders were reported in India in the past 3 years alone
- Sati (which is not as over as we’d all like it to be)
- Illiteracy of Women (35% of women in India are illiterate according to the 2011 Census)
- Lack of Land Ownership by Women and why this relates to gender inequality
- Domestic Violence (in the forms of financial, mental, physical, sexual, emotional abuse)
- Marital Rape (Or just rape, as we like to call it)
- Sexual abuse of Girls (India’s got the 2nd highest rate of Child Sexual Abuse in the world)
Whew! So that’s why we think we need feminism. If you still need more reasons, please do look below.
You’ll find some links that we really like talking about feminism specifically in India, or how feminism intersects with other systems of oppression. Let us know what you think!